Sunday 17 November 2013

Old School Wrestling Games : WCW's Super Brawl

By:  Rob


Hello fellow fans of pro wrestling,  I'm the new guy on the block.  You can call me Rob,  I'm going to take you on a strange but delightful trip into the past.  We are going to get into our pro wrestling time machine, which strangely looks like Sgt. Slaughter's camo-limo.  Strange.  No, we don't have to get this thing up to 88 miles per hour to use it.  Just sit back and enjoy the show.  So first off, I need to say I was a DIE HARD NWA fan.  I loved The Skyscrapers (both versions), and Mean Mark who later became known as The Undertaker.  Why am I bringing this up? Because this post is going to be about WCW's Super Nintendo Game : Superbrawl.


Like you can see right there, the cover of the game featured the biggest stars in the company at the time:  Ric Flair, Sting and Vader.  This wouldn't be WCW's only game on a Nintendo console though, but I think this was the only Super Nintendo game that we ever saw.   The graphics weren't that flashy, but it was great for when the game came out.  You got to choose from Ric Flair, Sting, Vader, Ron Simmons (He left WCW and became Farooq in the WWE) Johnny B. Bad, The Steiner Brothers and Rick Rude to name a few.

It was interesting navigating the character select menu,  the wrestlers would randomly talk saying their catch phrases and such.  Oddly, they didn't really do it when you selected them they sort of just did it randomly.  Sadly, I never rented this on a console,  I never actually bought the game either.  I had found a ROM file of this game on a ROM site and I used my Super Nintendo emulator to play this. 

With the very limited amount of time that I've played this game, I have to say it was fun.  It's your simple old school wrestling game, you can pull off moves doing various button combinations on your SNES controller.  Don't ask me the button combos, it has been too long since I've played this game and I've probably forgotten them all.   The game play was cool and it was fun.  For me to be interested in game, it had to be fun. I remember sitting on my computer with my gamepad (a usb controller for your computer) drinking Mtn. Dew, eating Cheetos and just rocking out to this game.  This game holds a big place in my heart.  You will never find another game like this and this was the last game that the company FCI ever put out.  That in itself is pretty sad. The graphics were awesome and the game was flashy enough to hold my interest for quite sometime. 

You can't think of old school wrestling games without this game being somewhere on the list.  I know there were better wrestling games out there at the time; the WWF games like Royal Rumble and Survivor Series were pretty good in their own right.  I'm a die hard WCW fan so this game is on the top of the list of retro games.  It's not a gem of a wrestling game, but it's fun to play through and see all the old wrestlers again.  To be honest I wished they'd remake this game on The 360 or the PS4 or something but Vince McMahon holds the rights to everything WCW and I don't see a new WCW game coming out too soon.  On that note, some of the old WCW wrestlers are making it into WWE games, Bill Goldberg is going to be in WWE 2k14.  So there might indeed be hope for a WCW game on a newer console.

I doubt it though.

Here is some game play of the game. 

Credit goes to the original uploader of the video.

Watching this video did bring back some fond memories of the game. I really hope the newer wrestling fans get to play this or just experience it for a little while.  I'm going to actually be going to used game stores and looking for this game.  I really want to experience this game once again.  It was awesome looking back at a game from my favorite wrestling organization.  I just want to thank everyone for reading this little blurb I put up here and next week I'll be back with something.  I think I'll do something on NWA or WCW or both!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment