Saturday 30 November 2013

Matches My Dad Talked About, Vol. 1: Bob Backlund vs. Superstar Billy Graham




By: Chris "Sledge" Douglas

There are a few matches my dad has talked about nonstop ever since I let my interest in the pseudo-sport become known.  ESPECIALLY one spot in particular... and it wasn't even the finish!

Dateline: February 20th, 1978
Place: Madison Square Garden, NY



My father reminded me of this match on Thanksgiving day.  The way he described it I wasn't really able to visualize what he was talking about.

Then I saw the move at 2:16.  PURE GENIUS!  I'm absolutely flabbergasted that nobody has used that counter since!  It's great!

Of course, I hope I'm not spoiling anything by saying that this was Backlund's first of two WWF title reigns!  It's over 30 years old (People get ridiculously anti-spoiler sometimes)!

It's really something when one particular spot in a match can make that match so memorable.

0 comments:

Post a Comment